Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Autistic Boy Saves Family From Fire, But Dies.

From: CNN

This is an amazing story. It sort of tugs at the heart strings you know? Alex Swigart, a 12-year-old boy with autism, smelled smoke in his Arizona home in the middle of the night. He went into his parents room and awoken his dad. Something along the lines of "Dad, I think I smell smoke." And the father,by what is hopefully some freak occurrence, got everyone out safely except the 12 year-old autistic boy. He told the local news:
"I realized at the time he wasn't there. By the time I got back up on the porch, fire engulfed the living room. I ran around the side of the house. I tried to go inside. I had four Border Patrol men grab me and drag me back to the road. They wouldn't let me go back inside. I yelled inside the window and I heard him say, "Daddy I can't breathe!" 
My heart goes out to the entire community effected by this. Don't even get the wrong idea, the father had nothing to do with it. What most likely happened was, the little guy got disorientated and ran back into his father's room. The father is in no way responsible for this freak occurrence and I'm sure it's tearing him up inside. I'm usually the cold hearted bastard but this takes the cake. Some kid on the Gamefaqs forum.  Something about this may seem entirely plausible, but it only works if him and his father were the only ones in the house, and they weren't. Now for the hard question, would I have been more attentive to my son with autism or my girlfriend in the event of a fire? Hell if I know. There was probably a lot of smoke, but with that said, if I wasn't in full on panic mode, I'd try to make sure I was behind both of them. Sad story all around man. Just another example of how short life can be. 

1 comment: