Friday, May 6, 2011

The End of Batman Beyond.

Oh Hell Yeah.
You ever notice how a lot of late nineties/early millennium western cartoons seem to have been pretty much forgotten by the general populace because honestly, a lot of them are barely memorable unless someone happens to bring them up. Let's test that out shall we? Spiderman Unlimited. You either A. Have no idea what is it. Or B. Googled it and was thought "OH YEAH!" I  mean just about everyone born after 1988 and before 2003 knows the original Pokemon theme, they remember watching Goku defeat Freiza while the planet Namek crumbled around them, but you don't remember anything about Mummies Alive or Speed Racer X. But I'm not getting into those shows because, I don't remember a thing about them. One thing I noticed about cartoon series' from that time period is, they either never really ended, or we have no clue how they ended.  I mean was there ever a resolution to Captain Planet? 


But I digress, this was either a great lead in or an awful one for what I'm going to talk about now. You see the series I'm going to get into did in fact end, on a different show. That show of course is Batman Beyond.('member? You member!) Calling Batman Beyond awesome would be an insult to it. The setting was a unique take on a future Gotham city, the characters, for the most part were all finely developed, and the animation from what I can remember was always consistent. I remember spending hours on the playground talking about how awesome this show was. 


Before I get into the last episode it might be best to give a little more backstory. Bruce Wayne has grown too old and sick to fight crime so he mostly stays in his mansion. One day this kid named Terry(I can't remember if he was chasing them or getting chased) and some Jokerz gang members ran onto the grounds of Wayne Manor, while on the grounds they run into an elderly Bruce Wayne. Bruce and Terry fight off the gang members but then Bruce's heart starts to give him trouble so Terry helps the old man back to his house. While there Terry happens to stumble across the Batcave while Bruce is sleeping, then Bruce wakes up and runs him out of his house. When Terry goes home he finds that his father had been murdered by the Jokerz gang. But later he finds out that the murder was arranged by some high level guy's bodyguard at Bruce's company. Terry returns to Bruce manor and steals the Batsuit much to Bruce's dismay(he even paralyzed him.) but eventually Bruce let's him get justice and boom, we have a new Batman. Over the course of the series we see Terry grow up from a stubborn headstrong teen to Batman. 
This was a great show and it even won an Emmy, but shockingly enough it was put on hiatus so the studio can focus on Justice League, which is why the Batman Beyond series finale occurs during Justice League Unlimited in the final episode of season 1  correctly entitled, "Epilogue". 


The episode opens with an older Terry(not in his  Bat suit) breaking into the compound of Amanda Waller [Not going into her back story so check here.]. This episode is told mostly in Flashback format. Terry has that cliche "If my enemies ever find out I'm a hero they might come after you" speech to his girlfriend when she mentions that they've been dating for 15 years and should be married (this makes this 15 years after the beginning of Batman Beyond and 65 years after the events of Justice League). We also see Terry quit the Justice League but the defining part was when he spazzed  out on Bruce because,Terry ran his and Bruce's DNA and it turned out to be an exact match. 
Yup, Bruce is Terry's father but not in the way you'd expect. Amanda Waller informs Terry that it was she who rewrote his father's reproductive DNA with Bruce's(You know, science) because Bruce was getting older, and "The World needs a Batman." Of course, this shocks Terry, because he feels that everything that happened to Bruce would happen to him.Waller informs him that if he wants a better life than Bruce he has to take care of the people who love him. The next scene we see Terry calling his girlfriend to set up a date. He says he has to ask her something in person and we see him with a Diamond ring, signaling that he's going to propose to her. Bruce walks in and informs Terry about Superman needing his help on a case. He suggests Terry eats something as to which Terry doesn't. In the last line of the series Bruce says "You're a stubborn piece of work kid." To which Terry replies "Just like my old man."  


All I can say is, it was a good ending. Nothing great but not too bad. I guess my only problem with the ending is that it's like skipping a bunch of chapters then literally reading the epilogue.(Title makes sense now huh?) But as I said Batman Beyond was still a great show. And it doesn't matter whether you remember it or not nor does it matter if you never even seen it, it's well worth a watch through. 

Overall Enjoyment: 9/10


Value: 10/10


Final Score 9.7/10

29 comments:

  1. Back in the 80's many cartoons endend w/o a resolution, like D&D cartoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that show!!! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that show also. I might try to find it on DVD or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Batman Beyond was a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember it, yes I did like it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great movie! I would give it the same points, so thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 9.7/10 Definitely going to have to watch this!

    Followed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting stuff man! Definitely a good read.

    Will follow for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. gonna have to check it out after this post, thanks for the heads up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Batman I have all the hardcover editions. I haven;t watched theis cartoon, it looks a little "kiddie." I'll check it out since you gave it such a high rating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I torrented the entire series a while ago. I forgot exactly how much I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I figured out how this ended. My interested in the show slowly waned but I can't stand missing endings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, this show was great. I didn't like it much as a kid but I really started to appreciate it when I got older.

    ReplyDelete
  14. checking it out. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Batman when i was a kid, i would work extra hard to wake up and watch it on Saturdays at 11 in the morning do be honest i still do

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember it. I loved it. Super glad I know how it ends now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great classic! thanks for sharing some goodstuff!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good writing and thanks for the nostalgia :] Captain planet, batman and dragonball z always bring back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pure nostalgia right here. Thank you for this post, I can only agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting viewpoint you have there. Definitely have forgotten about all the comics I used to like :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Batman was my favorite superhero as a kid, and still is...

    ReplyDelete
  22. How about some Jonny Quest up in this piece

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was great. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete