Monday, June 27, 2011

Get Off Your Ass If You Want To Live!

Osama might have lived longer if he got off his.

  Well, I'm off to good start right. Sitting here typing this probably shortened my life by a good 3 years. So, I saw this story today on CNN earlier,(a year after the fact) and according to a study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, a few researchers studied and analyzed responses from questionnaires filled out by 123,216 people (53,440 of which being men and 69,776 of which women) who didn't have a history of disease. They were participating in the Cancer Prevention II study conducted by the American Cancer Society. The participants were followed for 14 years, from 1993 to 2006. The results of this study are brought about after adjusting for various risk factors not limited to, BMI and smoking. The data shockingly revealed that women who spent at least six hours a day sitting had a 37 percent increased risk of dying earlier versus those who spent less than three hours a day on their asses. For men the increased risk was only around 17 percent.

  Now, it should be noted that even a little exercise per day tended to lower the mortality risk tied to sitting on your bum all day. People who sat a lot and did not exercise at all, had an even higher mortality risk: 94 percent for women and 48 percent for men. (Wait, why is the rate for women so high? SEXIST!) Well, I'm not a scientist, doctor, sociologist- hell I'm barely a blogger. But I have a theory on that, on average women tend to live longer than men. So I'm guessing they compared the average lifespan of each of the sexes accordingly not taking in other factors such as income level, job duties, etc. I could be disastrously wrong, but as always I'm no expert.

  If you're like me, you probably don't think much about your own mortality. We have the luxury of living in great nations (judging by my current audience consisting mostly of Americans, Canadians, The Dutch, and Germans)  where we can spend absurdly long amounts of time sitting on our rears. Chances are we don't have to worry about people defecating in own water supply, or whether the next NATO strike will flatten our entire village. We take a lot for granted so for the love of God/Allah/Yahweh/The Flying Spaghetti Monster, get off your ass and get active man whether it be sports, dancing, attending an antiwar protest or going to a Tea Party rally. Just make sure you check back with me from time to time.

8 comments:

  1. 5 star post, seriously.
    Oh and some of those one liners are hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I exercise semi-regularly, but nowhere near as much as I probably should, but I'm still in great shape (relative to how some people who do equal amounts of exercise are doing). Thank God/Allah/Yahweh/The Flying Spaghetti Monster that I was given such a good metabolism. Hopefully it sticks around for at least a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good thing i exercise daily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah exercise FTW, I hit the gym every other day after work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess I need to quit smoking and start exercising, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If i type twice as much as i planned does that count? I could go for run, wouldn't hurt anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's safe to say I'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. im trying to exercise everyday but i just cant do it!

    ReplyDelete