Friday, June 17, 2011

Is the Gay Community Scapegoating The Blacks For Acceptance?

No, just no.
 Now as a completely heterosexual young Black male growing up in a more socially liberal environment, without being exposed to loads of superficial religious bigotry I don't have any problems with homosexuality and I support gay marriage. But comparing the current American Gay rights movement to the Civil Rights Era movement seems massively insulting to me. You can't get married and yeah it sucks but stop comparing the two on the flimsiest details. I mean if anything Muslim is the new Black, I mean hell Muslims and Mexicans are the only two groups these days you can insult out right without much of a backlash.

  But I digress, so yesterday I witnessed an unusual conversation that made me quite conflicted. You see neither side was completely wrong or right, and both brought up good points that I never really thought about before. We're all familiar with what happened to Tracy Morgan (What can I say, I never liked the guy before  and he's really uncomfortable to watch. I might just rant about that soon.) and this was the basis of the debate between the two parties. It started with the whole "the Black community is historically homophobic" which in itself is a gross generalization, then again I have Black bias and once again I grew up in what could be considered surprisingly accepting semi-southern Black community. This conception was challenged by another individual who brought up something that continuously pisses me off about the main stream media. Now I'm mostly ad-libbing but his point mainly was;
"What makes Tracy Morgan any worse than a Religious leader or anti-gay politician, why was the media so concerned with what he said and not them? If anything they should take him less seriously." 

  The obvious reason seemingly being the color of his skin. Going off topic for a bit, in my post about now former Congressman Weiner I mention CNN got under my skin quite constantly that week. Honestly I don't like dealing with racism and I tend to try not to use the word racist unless I feel it's not going to belittle the word so I decided not to talk too much about it but this seems to be the right time for me. CNN only ran this story once to my knowledge and it was not on their website, but I had this sick feeling as if someone should have been punished for this. You see early on Thursday June 9th I believe, CNN morning anchor Kyra Phillips and one of their hopefully under utilized reporters were discussing musician Flava Flav's new book where he details his cocaine addiction and the absurd amount of money he spent on that addiction. Now usually when dealing with the likes of Lindsey Lohan, Charlie Sheen, or practically any famous person with a drug addiction they would bring on a doctor to discuss the problems and severity of addiction. Did they do that with Flav? No. A million times no. Instead they decided to vilify him and they made two absurd graphics, one listing how many gallons of gas could have been bought with the money he blew on drugs and another about how many families he could have fed with the money he blew on drugs. Then Kyra Phillips and the other guy went on to consistently insult him based on his struggle instead of even so much as mentioning the word "addiction" and this pissed me off to no ends and is now pissing me off so I'll just leave it at this, After considering this from CNN and it's sister station HLN's coverage of the Narces Benoit incident, I have to say, CNN is racist.  I'm damn sure not one to use that word lightly, but the double standard presented is disgusting, especially when it comes to Narces Benoit. But hey, what do I know anyway? 

  Damn this is going to be a long post, back to the topic at hand, the media, mostly CNN, went on the war path against Tracy Morgan for saying things that are despicable, but not new. But this isn't the sole time Blacks were in the hot seat for what seemingly is homophobic behavior, take Prop 8 which if you look at the massive LA Times Headline 70% of Blacks Supported, or should I say "A lot of Obama voters" supported which the article decides to put on the first line. And again at the Washington post, Most of California's Black Voters Backed Gay Marriage Ban. Now I know you're thinking, "so what it's true?" What they don't mention in the headline is that  Blacks only make up around 10% of California's electorate and that over 80% of Conservatives also backed it. A number that largely trumps 70% of Blacks. So why have the headlines single out the Blacks? Is it really because of the Gay community, I mean what's one way of an outsider to gain acceptance into the mainstream white community? Be better than the Blacks.
  
  Oddly enough, Ghandi did the same thing for the Indians while he was in South Africa. General MacArthur did it in Japan and the Jewish did it in America. It's literally nothing new. So it's entirely possible that the Gay community may be trying to go the same route. Which is mostly what one side was arguing, but honestly as I think about it it's obvious that it's not the gays. It's the Republicans and Socially Conservative Democrats. It's their way of saying "Oh what? It's not our fault- look at all the Blacks who voted for it, we aren't the bigots they are."  Even though the religious right ran ads with Obama proclaiming to be for Prop 8, and convinced Black church leaders to get their congregation to vote for it, it's all the bigoted Blacks fault. Oh and the 50% of Latinos they just so randomly decide to shove in there. I really wouldn't be shocked if it was both the Gays and the Republicans, hell might be the Gay Republicans. I don't know man. I'm honestly tired of this bullshit, I have never seen a good argument as to why they can't be allowed to marry. Damnant quod non intelligunt I guess, regardless of race. 


11 comments:

  1. You should check out the David Tyree (NFL player for the Giants) comments about gay marriage. I am sure he will get hammered hard for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Flava Flav sues them hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are taking it a bit far now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gay people are equal i cant believe people are complaining

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a shame people cant just relise that we are all equal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone is the same really, it's just how people evolved (Racially) and the chemicals in their brains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But what about the gay black community

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gay is the new Black. O God, are they serious?

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats an interesting view on things

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all politics and statistics friend. CNN messes up a lot, but realize that CNN's CEO's are under the clutches of right and left wing agendas. (and sadly, so are all the other outlets that you and I identify as mass media) It's going to intensify as we get closer to the 2012 elections and personally, I'm going to stay neutral as the lines between the two ideologies continue to blur.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Muslims and Mexicans are the only two groups these days you can insult out right without much of a backlash."

    I agree, as a Muslim I find that before people find out I'm Muslim they don't have any judgements or labels. But a few times I've seen people bash Muslims and get away with it.

    Gays do take it far when they compare themselves to other causes, the Black Freedom movement was not about a minor issue of can I be recognized as living with someone... it was about equality, freedom, and some sort normalcy that they had not acquired at the time.

    ReplyDelete