Monday, July 11, 2011

Black People Have To Protect Obama Or They Are Sellouts?

Picture Courtesy of  Black Agenda Report
  I didn't expect the speak out against ignorant Blacks twice in such a short period, but this was too outrageous to pass up. Forgive me for being late, then again I don't really care enough about Tom Joyner to follow what he does. It was brought to my attention that on July 6th Tom Joyner published a letter primarily critical of Tavis Smiley, Cornel West and to a lesser extent Mark Halperin of Time magazine. Now if you're one of the 300 people who watch morning Joe on MSNBC (I kid.) a little while ago you were greeted with Mark Halperin calling the President a dick on national television. You can find the clip on youtube if you're interested. It's kind of funny I guess, but it was blown out of proportion in my opinion. In Tom Joyner's letter, he also lets this slide but decides to blame this on Tavis Smiley not being outraged and Cornel West being critical of Barack Obama. Things like this bum the hell out of me, not as an "Emo Progressive" but as a Black man. In his letter, Joyner says:
  I’m even more disgusted with Smiley and West, two brothers who I did have expectations of – and thought I knew. These two have done much worse than what Halperin has done because they set the tone for it, opened the door to it, and must take much of the blame for creating a climate that would make a white, professional journalist feel comfortable verbally and vulgarly attacking the first black president of the United States.”

  I'll get to that in a little bit, as mind blowing as that quote is, it gets worse. Take a look: 
...The Tavis that loved black people so much that he would sometimes, during his commentaries, be moved to tears. Where is that guy? You know, the guy that would have been telling me, ‘Fly Jock, Halperin has got to go.’ For a while, I thought he was still with us, even though people around me (and many of you) tried to convince me otherwise. ‘Tavis is a hater.’ ‘Tavis is only about himself.’ ‘Tavis is jealous of the president.’ I wouldn’t believe any of it. I had so much respect for him before his primary goal became selling books, and, later, selling out.”
 *Warning, graphic language ahead*

  What the fuck? You mean to tell me that as a Black man Tavis Smiley has an obligation to defend President Obama from the sightliest bit of name calling? (Unless he went "nigger nigger nigger" then maybe I'd give half a shit.) Not only that, it would seem that as Black Americans we have to defend Obama tooth and nail even when he's selling out Americans under the guise of bipartisanship. Don't get me wrong I'm all for speaking against someone who is insulting the President based on lies, and other nonsensical bullshit. But don't expect me to defend him just because of the color of his skin. As there should be no defending him on skin alone, there damn sure should be no one attacking him for it either.

  We should have a hell of a lot more pride and not allow his skin-tone to be used as a crutch for when he receives criticism for doing the wrong things. I'm tired of this "The white corporate media is evil! Obama is never wrong because he looks Black" idiotic, racist bullshit way of thinking. This pisses me only slightly more than the other point of view being "Obama looks Black so we must be against him!". I find this extremely insulting, how can you call Tavis Smiley a sellout for not being outraged at a non-issue? He's the fucking President, people have said a lot worse (myself included) about him. And yes, he is a bit of a dick (oh do I get immunity because I'm Black and called him a dick?) it's an utter shame that people like this have such a following. Speaking of which, Tavis Smiley is busy making money off of his books...so the fuck what? You seem to be busy making racist comments and aiding in the continued media pushing of negative stereotypes in the Black community(Listen to his radio show you'll see what I mean.). Is that not considered selling out?

   I find it massively hypocritical of people like this to bash the "white corporate media" when they are a product of it. It pains me that these Black media pundits help reinforce the racist idea that all Black people view the President as an infallible demigod because of the color of his skin and not on his performance. I have no tolerance for racists, Black, European, Asian, whatever. I even hold Blacks to a higher standard than any other group, I like to believe we're much better than that. But hey what do I know, I'm just that Black Panther dude from 'I''m Gonna Git You Sucka'

Media Response: Kunta Jay's an Uncle Tom.

  

1 comment:

  1. All this Black and White shit is so stupid. Why do we have to impose differences between class or colors?

    ReplyDelete